MAMMoTH - Massive Scale Machine to Machine Service
The future Internet of Things (IoT) is likely to contain tens of billions nodes providing universal control of electricity and water utilities, medical ICT and industry automation. Sensor networks of a scale of a million nodes are possible even today, and M2M automatic metering systems have already been deployed with tens of millions of nodes, and their further scale is likely to grow significantly. Managing the nodes and information provided by a large M2M networks requires structuring and organization of their data. Embedded web services is a promising development at the IETF within the Constrained RESTful Environments (core) working group. The architecture scalability beyond millions of nodes is yet an area to explore. In addition to traditional sensor network and cellular M2M devices, future machine-to-machine (M2M) internetworking should also integrate to the user’s devices, such as mobile phones with near-field communication capability or connected to short-range wireless sensors.
Duration: 01.07.2011 – 30.04.2013
- Aalto University (CSE)
- University of Oulu (MediaTeam and CWC)
- Ericsson (Nomadic Lab)
- Renesas Mobile
- There Corporation
- Kajaani Data Center operator
Project manager (Aalto side): post-doc researcher Zhonghong Ou
Responsible professor (Aalto side): Antti Ylä-Jääski
Researchers (Aalto side):
- Vilen Looga
- Yang Deng
- Miika Komu
- Klaus Hartke
- Ketan Devadiga
- Shichao Dong
- Daniel Bailo
Conference and workshop papers:
 Z Ou, S. Dong, J. Dong, J.K. Nurminen, A. Ylä-Jääski, and R. Wang (2013), Characterize Energy Impact of Concurrent Network-Intensive Applications on Mobile Platforms. The 8th ACM Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture (ACM MobiArch 2013) (collocated with Mobicom2013).
 V. Looga, , A. Ylä-Jääski, and Z. Ou (2013), Energy-awareness in Large-scale Internet of Things Networks. The 11th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2013) Doctoral Colloquium.
 H. Zhuang, X. Liu, Z. Ou, K. Aberer (2013), Impact of Instance Seeking Strategies on Resource Allocation in Cloud Data Centers. IEEE 6th International Conference on Cloud Computing (IEEE Cloud 2013) (acceptance ratio 18%).
-  V. Looga, Z. Ou, Y. Deng & A. Ylä-Jääski (2012), “MAMMotH: A Massive-Scale Emulation Platform for Internet of Things”. Proc. 2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems (IEEE CCIS’12) (Best Paper Award).
-  Z. Ou, H. Zhuang, J.K. Nurminen, A. Ylä-Jääski & P. Hui (2012), Exploiting Hardware Heterogeneity within the Same Instance Type of Amazon EC2. Proc. 4th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud ’12). (covered by BBC News, ACM TechNews, The Registryetc).
-  Y. Deng, Z. Ou, M. Komu, V. Looga, A. Ylä-Jääski (2012), “Anatomy of the Connecting Architecture of Internet of Things”. Proce 2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems (IEEE CCIS’12).
-  S. Dong (2013), “Inter- and Cross-protocol Interference in IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Sensor Network Data Communications”. Master’s Thesis.
-  H. Zhuang (2012), “Performance Evaluation of Virtualization in Cloud Data Centers”. Master’s Thesis.
-  M. Sethi (2012), Security in Smart Object Networks. Master’s Thesis.