Energy Efficient Communication and Computing
Energy Efficient Communication and Computation is one of our key research areas. Most of the work has been on the energy consumption of mobile phone application and services and on solutions – for mobile devices, servers, or networks – to reduce the power consumption of mobile devices. The work consists of measurements, modeling, and experimentation with test implementations. In our lab we have facilities to measure on a detailed level the power consumption of most mobile phones as well as some sensor devices. Currently our work is extending to Green ICT, in particular to end-to-end energy consumption of mobile services.
Key people: Antti Ylä-Jääski, Matti Siekkinen, Yu Xiao
Power modeling and measurements
- Yu Xiao, Yong Cui, Petri Savolainen, Matti Siekkinen, An Wang, Liu Yang, Antti Ylä-Jääski, Sasu Tarkoma. “Modeling Energy Consumption of Data Transmission over Wi-Fi” In IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (accepted). 2013.
- Siekkinen, M, Hiienkari, M., Nurminen, J.K., and Nieminen, J., “How Low Energy is Bluetooth Low Energy? Comparative Measurements with ZigBee/802.15.4,” Future Green Communications Workshop, IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012), Paris, France, April 2012.
- Pedro Miranda, Matti Siekkinen, and Heikki Waris. “TLS and Energy Consumption On a Mobile Device: A Measurement Study.” The 16th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC’11). June 2011.
- Yu Xiao, Rijubrata Bhaumik, Zhirong Yang, Matti Siekkinen, Petri Savolainen, and Antti Ylä-Jääski. “A System-level Model for Runtime Power Estimation on Mobile Devices.” The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom2010). December 2010.
- Yu Xiao, Petri Savolainen, Arto Karppanen, Matti Siekkinen, and Antti Ylä-Jääski. “Practical power modeling of data transmission over 802.11g for wireless applications.” The First ACM International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking. e-Energy 2010.(received best paper award). April 2010.
Power management and optimization
- Yu Xiao, Wei Li, Matti Siekkinen, Petri Savolainen, Antti Ylä-Jääski, Pan Hui. Power Management for Wireless Data Transmission Using Complex Event Processing. IEEE Transactions on Computers. pp. 1765-1777, Dec., 2012
- Looga, V.; Yu Xiao; Zhonghong Ou; Yla-Jaaski, A., “Exploiting traffic scheduling mechanisms to reduce transmission cost on mobile devices,” Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2012 IEEE , vol., no., pp.1766,1770, 1-4 April 2012. doi: 10.1109/WCNC.2012.6214070
- Yu Xiao, Pan Hui, Petri Savolainen, and Antti Ylä-Jääski. 2011. CasCap: cloud-assisted context-aware power management for mobile devices. In Proceedings of the second international workshop on Mobile cloud computing and services (MCS ’11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 13-18.
- Ahmad Nazir Raja, Zhihua Jin, and Matti Siekkinen. Energy Efficient Client-centric Shaping of Multi-flow TCP Traffic. The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom2010). December 2010.
- Yu Xiao, Matti Siekkinen, and Antti Ylä-Jääski. Framework for energy-aware lossless compression in mobile services: the case of E-mail. The IEEE International Conference on Communications. ICC 2010. May 2010.
- Yu Xiao, Ramya Sri Kalyanaraman, and Antti Ylä-Jääski. 2009. Middleware for energy-awareness in mobile devices. In Proceedings of the Fourth International ICST Conference on COMmunication System softWAre and middlewaRE (COMSWARE ’09). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 13 , 6 pages.
- Mohammad Ashraful Hoque, Matti Siekkinen, Jukka K. Nurminen. “Using Crowd-Sourced Viewing Statistics to Save Energy in Wireless Video Streaming” In the 19th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom). October 2013.
- Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman, Matti Siekkinen, Vesa Virkki, Johan Torsner. “Bundling frames to save energy while streaming video from LTE mobile device” In the 8th ACM Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture (MobiArch 2013, co-located with MobiCom). October 2013.
- Mohammad Ashraful Hoque, Matti Siekkinen, Jukka K. Nurminen, Mika Aalto. “Dissecting Mobile Video Services: An Energy Consumption Perspective.” The 14th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM). June 2013.
- Mohammad Ashraful Hoque, Matti Siekkinen, Jukka K. Nurminen. “TCP Receive Buffer Aware Wireless Multimedia Streaming – An Energy Efficient Approach.” The 23rd ACM Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV13). February 2013.
- Matti Siekkinen, Mohammad Ashraful Hoque, Jukka K. Nurminen, Mika Aalto. “Streaming over 3G and LTE: How to Save Smartphone Energy in Radio Access Network-Friendly Way.” The 5th ACM Workshop on Mobile Video (MoVid 2013). February 2013.
- Mohammad Ashraful Hoque, Matti Siekkinen, Jukka K. Nurminen. “Energy Efficient Multimedia Streaming to Mobile Devices – A Survey.” In IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials (accepted). 2012.
- Hoque, M.A., Siekkinen, M., Nurminen, J.K., “On the Energy Efficiency of Proxy-Based Traffic Shaping for Mobile Audio Streaming”, 8th IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference CCNC’2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 2011
- Yu Xiao, R.S. Kalyanaraman, A. Ylä-Jääski. “Energy Consumption of Mobile YouTube: Quantitative Measurement and Analysis,” Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, 2008. NGMAST ’08. The Second International Conference on , vol., no., pp.61,69, 16-19 Sept. 2008
- Saarinen, A., Siekkinen, M., Xiao, Y., Nurminen, J.K., Kemppainen, M., Hui P., “Can Offloading Save Energy For Popular Apps?” 7th ACM International Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture (MobiArch 2012) co-located with MobiCom 2012, Istanbul, Turkey, August, 2012
- Aki Saarinen, Matti Siekkinen, Yu Xiao, Jukka Nurminen, Matti Kemppainen and Pan Hui. “SmartDiet: Offloading Popular Apps to Save Energy.” Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2012.Poster abstract. August 2012.
- Kelényi, I., and Nurminen, J.K., “Modeling Resource Constrained BitTorrent Proxies for Energy Efficient Mobile Content Sharing,” Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, September 15, 2011
- Kelényi, I., Ludányi, A., Nurminen, J.K., “Using Home Routers as Proxies for Energy-Efficient BitTorrent Downloads to Mobile Phones,” IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2011
- Kelenyi, I. and Nurminen, J.K., “Distributed BitTorrent Proxy for Energy Efficient Mobile Content Sharing,” 14th Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC 2011), Brest, France, October 2011
- Kelényi, I., Ludányi, A., Nurminen, J.K., “Energy-Efficient Torrent Downloads to Mobile Phones through Memory-Limited Proxies” 8th IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference CCNC’2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 2011
Energy-efficient mobile applications
- Sharmistha Chatterjee, Jukka K. Nurminen, Matti Siekkinen. “Design of energy-efficient location-based cloud services using cheap sensors” In International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, Vol. 9 Iss: 2, pp.115 – 138. 2013.
- Pieter Simoens, Yu Xiao, Padmanabhan Pillai, Zhuo Chen, Kiryong Ha, and Mahadev Satyanarayanan. 2013. Scalable crowd-sourcing of video from mobile devices. In Proceeding of the 11th annual international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services(MobiSys ’13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 139-152. DOI=10.1145/2462456.2464440 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2462456.2464440
- Yu Xiao, Pieter Simoens, Padmanabhan Pillai, Kiryong Ha, and Mahadev Satyanarayanan. 2013. Lowering the barriers to large-scale mobile crowdsensing. In Proceedings of the 14th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile ’13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, , Article 9 , 6 pages. DOI=10.1145/2444776.2444789 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2444776.2444789
- Chatterjee, S., Nurminen, J.K., and Siekkinen, M., “Low cost positioning by matching altitude readings with crowd-sourced route data,” 10th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia (MoMM2012), Bali, Indonesia, December, 2012
- Heikkinen, M., Nurminen, J.K., Smura, T., and Hämmäinen, H., “Energy Efficiency of Mobile Handsets: Measuring User Attitudes and Behavior,” Telematics and Informatics, Volume 29, Issue 4, November 2012, Pages 387–399
- Prochkova, I. and Nurminen, J.K., “Energy Cost of Advertisements in Mobile Games on the Android Platform,” Sixth International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST’12) Paris, France, September 2012
- Ullah, K. and Nurminen, J.K., “Applicability of Different Models of Burstiness to Energy Consumption Estimation,” 8th IEEE, IET International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks, and Digital Signal Processing, Poznan, Poland, July, 2012
- Puustinen, I. and Nurminen, J.K., “The Effect of Unwanted Internet Traffic on Cellular Phone Energy Consumption,” 4th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security, Paris, France, February 2011
- Ou, Z., Pang, B., Deng, Y., Nurminen, J.K. Ylä-Jääski, A., Hui, P., “Energy- and Cost-Efficiency Analysis of ARM-Based Clusters,” IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), Ottawa, Canada, May 2012
- Siekkinen, M, Nurminen, J.K., and Ylä-Jääski, A., “Creating Green Incentives and Mechanisms Through Packet-Level Energy Accounting,” Internet of Things Enabling Technologies Workshop, IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012), Paris, France, April 2012
- Heikkinen, M. and Nurminen, J.K., “Measuring and modeling mobile phone charger energy consumption and environmental impact,” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012), Paris, France, April 2012
- Ruutu, J., Nurminen, J.K., Rissanen, K., “Energy Efficiency of Recharging a Mobile Device,” Fifth International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST’11) Cardiff, Wales, UK, September 2011